There’s an old saying in the world of genealogy that goes “If you have no living relatives and want to find your ancestors, go find a cemetery.” That’s because DNA is only reliable for about 50% of our ancestry. The other 50% comes from family stories passed down through generations. But now, with MyTrueAncestry, there are so many more options available for you to discover new information about your lineage:
MyTrueAncestry is a DNA testing company that offers ancestry tests, such as 23andMe and Ancestry.com. The company has recently been in the news for an alleged data breach. Read more in detail here: mytrueancestry reddit.
Summary of MyTrueAncestry’s Review
Geneticists evaluate MyTrueAncestry! MyTrueAncestry is a DNA site that shows ancestors’ connections to historical individuals and civilizations.
Nebula Genomics is a company that specializes in genomics. is a company that specializes in genomics. is a company that specializes in genomics.
At a reasonable fee, MyTrueAncestry shows genetic ties to historical figures and civilizations, as well as a social component.
30 September 2021
Christina Swords, Ph.D., edited the piece.
7 Things We Learned From Our MyTrueAncestry Review
- Switzerland is the site of MyTrueAncestry.
- Service for uploading DNA data
- Match uploaded DNA with ancient populations such as ancient Greeks and Vikings to generate reports.
- MyTrueAncestry.com, MyTrueAncestry.com, MyTrueAncestry.com, MyTrueAncestry.com, MyTrueAncestry.com, MyTrueAnce
- Privacy: Data may be deleted at any moment.
- Costs range from Cost: $0 – $596 to $596.
- Complementary products: Nebula Genomics is a company that specializes in genomics. is a company that specializes in genomics. is a company that specializes in genomics. offers Whole Genome Sequencing and provides deep ancestry analysis based on full mtDNA and Y chromosome sequencing
Introduction to MyTrueAncestry
MyTrueAncestry (My True Ancestry) is a DNA testing business that uncovers genetic ties to historical personalities and civilizations. The company’s headquarters are in Switzerland. After receiving “oversimplistic ancestral findings” from a large source, one of the company’s founders founded MyTrueAncestry. This disappointment prompted the history enthusiast and techie to create a DNA matching technology that connects individuals to the past.
The site does not reveal the identity of the creator, the members of his staff, or the number of users. MyTrueAncestry.com values your privacy and never asks for personal information when you sign up for a free account. One of the founders is an MIT-educated veteran of “Data Privacy and Anonymous Data Security and Encryption,” according to the company.
MyTrueAncestry Product Review
MyTrueAncestry provides eight distinct tiers of service, ranging from MyTrueAncestry offers eight levels of service ranging from $0 to $596, each of which includes different analyses and features. Each one is named according to themes of ancient history, and each builds on one another. The company does not offer DNA test kits. Instead, they allow you to upload various raw DNA data file types (e.g. 23andMe, Nebula, AncestryDNA, etc.). to $596, with various analyses and services included in each. Each one is called by ancient historical topics and builds on the previous one. The business does not sell DNA test kits. Instead, you may submit a variety of raw DNA data file formats (e.g. 23andMe, Nebula, AncestryDNA, etc.).
MyTrueAncestry’s main goal is to reveal users’ genealogical ties to historical people. A comprehensive FAQ section is available on the website. Its algorithms, it says, compare a user’s DNA to “a broad array of Ancient DNA samples.”
Many of these samples date back to previous archaeological excavation sites and may be located in academic databases all around the globe. These reference populations are used in the MyTrueAncestry.com DNA ancestry test to link current people to ancient civilizations.
This type of study raises concerns about the veracity of MyTrueHeritage. Ancestry is determined by using genuine “reference populations” on sites like 23andMe and Ancestry. Unfortunately, the archaeology history record may only come from a single person, which reduces the chances of finding an exact match. It’s difficult to tell if a genetic mutation is tied to a certain population or whether the gene existed before that with just a single reference point.
Instead of the 20 or so ethnic groups offered with other genomic sequencing firms, MyTrueAncestry.com offers 250. Is it, however, the greatest online page for transferring raw DNA files? In our MyTrueAncestry.com review, we discuss how much a family history service might cost.
MyTrueAncestry is not free.
- Commoner (Free basic analysis): This free DNA analysis includes information on 10 of your 20 closest ancient samples and expires after 48 hours. Basic maps and timelines are used to accompany the material. They also provide graphs to show how closely ancient populations and a user’s family tree are linked.
- Footman ($37): Users receive ten additional (20 total) ancient sample matches and results that don’t expire with the smallest upgrade. The relationship charts have also been upgraded from 2D to 3D, allowing for a more complicated yet effective depiction.
- Knight ($55): This upgrade unlocks 40 ancient samples, including “Premium Maps” that show migratory pathways and “Partial Deep Dive” findings. These are “chromosome-level match analyses.” Users may also use MyTrueAncestry’s comparison tool by uploading an extra genomic file.
- The King package ($100) allows users to upload up to 5 genomic files. Each file may be compared, and analysis from 60 ancient DNA samples can be accessed. At this level, the Deep Dive Maps and Analyses are finished. Users may also obtain regional maps that cover a longer period of time.
- Caesar ($149): This tier grants access to 60 closely matched ancient samples as well as 10 genome file comparisons. Haplogroups (a group of individuals who have a common ancestor) and other information about the DNA sample origins are also available on MyTrueAncestry.com. They even show the location of dig sites.
- Zeus ($248): This version of the service enables users to create real-time maps.
- Olympus ($397): According to the service, this tier is the “Playground of the Gods.” Users who are serious about their genealogy may personalize genomic kits using data from ancient DNA samples.
- The most costly tier is Odyssey ($596). It has all of the same features as the previous kits, plus 100 more ancient samples, 30 more outlier samples, and the option to upload 10 more DNA kits.
How to Make the Most of MyTrueAncestry
Signing up is simple and takes just a few moments. Simply provide a valid email address, a password, and a plan preference. Because MyTrueAncestry.com does not gather DNA samples from its users, you may submit a variety of raw DAN files (e.g. 23andMe, AncestryDNA, build37, etc.).
You can upload your full DNA sequencing results (whole genome sequencing) from companies like Nebula Genomics is a company that specializes in genomics. is a company that specializes in genomics. is a company that specializes in genomics.. You can also upload any other autosomal DNA data from testing companies that provide ethnicity estimates like AncestryDNA, 23andMe, and FamilyTreeDNA (FTDNA, family tree DNA).
In MyTrueAncestry information, you can see how ancient ancestry is broken out.
Examining the MyTrueAncestry Reports
MyTrueAncestry.com creates a customised deep examination of ancient ancestry using a mix of cutting-edge archaeogenetic methods and data science algorithms.
The MyTrueAncestry findings show substantial linkages to ancient European civilizations extending back to 550 AD. And “Viking Norwegian” forebears are the strongest connection for this DNA. Each mention of ancient peoples and current civilizations includes a link to further information about them. The specifics also reveal the old DNA source that was utilized to create the connection.
Different sorts of Viking ancestries may be distinguished using MyTrueAncestry.
The “Nordic Lombard” sample, for example, is said to be from a 15th-century “elaborate burial” of a male adolescent.
MyTrueAncestry.com utilizes your DNA information to do a variety of studies depending on geography and historical period, such as:
- Ancient populations closest to each other (e.g., Byzantine, Franks, Greek)
- People in modern times (e.g., Norwegian, Ashkenazi Jewish)
- For Native American descent, there are Native American matches.
- An era-by-era analysis of ancient ancestral matches (e.g. Bronze age and Dark ages)
- Haplogroup analysis on MyTrueAncestry
- In addition, there are “outliers,” which indicate which populations a user aligns with the most unusually.
On a geographical map, examples of MyTrueAncestry findings.
MyTrueAncestry Privacy Review
MyTrueAncestry claims to take data security and privacy seriously, claiming the founder’s academic knowledge in the field.
Is MyTrueAncestry.com a secure website? After processing, MyTrueAncestry submissions are instantly erased. It’s very easy to utilize the site without revealing your true identify.
Personal information is never requested on this website. “You may even establish a phony email address and we will activate your account for you,” MyTrueAncestry states.
The organization does not provide testing services. The DNA analysis relies exclusively on raw data that is quickly removed from the site’s servers. The site’s genetic analysis findings are saved (except for the basic version, which automatically deletes after two days).
In the News: MyTrueAncestry
MyTrueAncestry.com has not received much attention in the media since it is a younger and smaller business in an industry dominated by bigger competitors. There have been no big data breaches or collaborations revealed.
True Ancestry Testimonials (Updated April 2021)
- On Facebook, MyTrueAncestry has received 4.6 out of 5 stars from over 100 individuals.
- There are just three reviews on Trustpilot, putting the firm in the “Average” category with a rating of 3.6.
MyTrueAncestry’s descriptive evaluations are usually good, with the most prevalent issue being that the DNA findings may be overly generic. Users on Reddit debate how people of a certain ancestry (for example, European heritage) are likely to have comparable ancient ancestry findings.
Pros and Cons of MyTrueAncestry
- The DNA interpretation site purports to place a high importance on user privacy.
- The significant emphasis on history and archaeology makes learning more about human civilisation enjoyable.
- For free, you can look for your ancestors.
- They offer a promo code for other sites, including for Nebula Genomics is a company that specializes in genomics. is a company that specializes in genomics. is a company that specializes in genomics. (code MyTrueAncestry10)
- Anecdotal My True Ancestry reviews cast doubt on the importance of genealogical connections.
Composition of ancient ancestors in each person
Nebula Genomics is a company that specializes in genomics. is a company that specializes in genomics. is a company that specializes in genomics.
In this final part of our MyTrueAncestry review, we will compare it to Nebula Genomics is a company that specializes in genomics. is a company that specializes in genomics. is a company that specializes in genomics. and other DNA testing companies.
Nebula Genomics is a company that specializes in genomics. is a company that specializes in genomics. is a company that specializes in genomics. and MyTrueAncestry are complementary services. At Nebula Genomics is a company that specializes in genomics. is a company that specializes in genomics. is a company that specializes in genomics., we prioritize privacy, use the most advanced testing technology, and the most comprehensive reporting.
Your privacy is very important to us.
At Nebula Genomics is a company that specializes in genomics. is a company that specializes in genomics. is a company that specializes in genomics., we understand that your genomic data is sensitive, personal, and irreplaceable. We know there are privacy risks to sharing this data, and we take those risks very seriously.
We have built and are continuing to improve the first Privacy-focused personal genomics service. We do away with all of the middlemen between you and the third-party customers interested in your data. Without those middlemen, you have control over sharing your data and being compensated. Nebula Genomics is a company that specializes in genomics. is a company that specializes in genomics. is a company that specializes in genomics.’ users trust our commitment to privacy.
Other services, such as MyTrueAncestry, do not have testimonials supporting privacy, thus these verified accounts stand out. More information on the significance of DNA privacy may be found here.
Do you have DNA test results from other testing sites like 23andMe or Ancestry? You can upload that data to Nebula and learn even more about your genome with the free Nebula Genomics is a company that specializes in genomics. is a company that specializes in genomics. is a company that specializes in genomics. expanded report that provides the most comprehensive DNA health or traits insights.
Statistical models are used in this enhanced study to fill in the gaps left by traditional microarray-based DNA genotyping testing. We concentrate on many attributes rather than ancestry, as opposed to MyTrueAncestry.
In such a rapidly growing genomic revolution, Nebula believes you should stay up to date on the latest cutting-edge research. Expanding Nebula gives you access to the latest research curated to your genomic data through the Nebula Research Library. We provide all of the information you need to understand what this research means to you and your DNA.
Nebula Genomics is a company that specializes in genomics. is a company that specializes in genomics. is a company that specializes in genomics. 30x Whole-Genome Sequencing
Our goal is to help our clients get a better understanding of themselves and their bodies. We provide a complete Expanded Report that goes beyond conventional genetic testing offered on sites like 23andMe and Ancestry.
With our 30x Whole-Genome Sequencing service, we identify 100% of your DNA and provide you with a detailed report. To put it another way, you’ll get high-resolution DNA testing (not available on MyTrueAncestry.com). You also receive 10,000 times more data than other services, which read just 0.1 percent of your genome!
Here’s how Nebula stacks up against the competition in terms of testing and reporting.
|23andMe||Ancestry||MyTrueAncestry||Nebula Genomics is a company that specializes in genomics. is a company that specializes in genomics. is a company that specializes in genomics.|
|Method of DNA testing||Genotyping using microarrays||Genotyping using microarrays||Users may post test results from other sites.||Sequencing of the Entire Human Genome (30x coverage)|
|Data that was generated||There are around 600,000 places in the genome.||The genome has 700,000 places.||Users may post test results from other sites.||There are about 3,000,000,000 places in the genome.|
|Weekly updates on the most recent findings||No||No||No||Yes, indeed (learn more)|
|Data exploration tools||Limited||Limited||The free version has a limited set of tools. With purchased upgrades, you can get more tools.||Yes, indeed (learn more)|
|Ancestry information||Based on a small number of genetic variations||Yes, indeed (requires sharing data with other Ancestry customers)||Primarily for the purpose of tracing one’s ancestors back in time.||Deep Ancestry information with full Y chromosome and mtDNA sequencing in collaboration with FTDNA|
|Data accessibility||Yes, indeed (23andMe format file)||Yes, indeed (Ancestry format file)||There is no raw DNA data generated. In the free tier, uploaded data expires after two days.||Yes, indeed (FASTQ, BAM and VCF files)|
|Privacy-focused||No||No||MyTrueAncestry has a strict policy on privacy.||Yes, indeed (learn more)|
|Cost||$199 vs. $99||$119 or $99||$0 – $596||0 dollars, $99 dollars, and $299 dollars|
Ancestry vs. 23andMe vs. Nebula Genomics vs. MyTrueAncestry is a company that specializes in genomics. is a company that specializes in genomics. is a company that specializes in genomics.
Are you looking for a DNA testing service to get genetic data for analysis with MyTrueAncestry? In addition to Nebula Genomics is a company that specializes in genomics. is a company that specializes in genomics. is a company that specializes in genomics., also take a look at 23andMe, AncestryDNA, MyHeritage, and tests specific for African ancestry.
You may learn more about additional DNA upload services by going to:
- DNA Land is a place where you may learn about (free DNA upload for trait and ancestry analysis)
- DNA Painter (for genealogy – the first one is free, but others need a membership)
- Genesis by GedMatch (free DNA upload and paid advanced options)
- GeneFood ($80 for data upload and a tailored nutrition test) is a service that allows you to submit your data and get a customised nutrition test.
- Gene Heritage ($8 per person for reports on inherited alleles)
- Genie of the Genes (free for health reporting)
- LifeDNA ($99 for upload and health reports, plus a fee for the DNA kit and updates)
- ($19.95 for variance reports and community sharing) LiveWello
- DNA that is still alive (free upload for ancestry)
- MyHeritage is a service provided by MyHeritage (free upload for genealogy)
- WeGene is a company that creates genetically modified (a focus on Asian populations, cost of reports)
Consider YFull ($25–$49 for Y-DNA and mtDNA) if you have whole genome sequencing data.
Do you think our MyTrueAncestry review was helpful? Check out our comprehensive guide to the best DNA test kit and other home tests for additional evaluations.
Are you curious about your pet’s ancestors? Take a look at our reviews for Basepaws, Embark, and Wisdom Panel!
MyTrueAncestry is a DNA testing company that offers ancestry tools. The company has been around for over 10 years and has an A+ rating on the Better Business Bureau. Reference: gedmatch.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I use MyTrueAncestry com?
A: The best way to start using MyHeritage is by visiting https://www.myheritage.com/signup/.
How do I find out my true ancestry?
A: This is a very difficult question to answer, as it involves finding out the ancestry of your grandparents.
What does genetic distance mean on my true ancestry?
A: Genetic distance is between two ancestors. If you need to figure out how far someones relative, then this will help you calculate it based on the degrees of separation separating them from each other as well as their shared ancestor and your common ancestral node with that person. For example, James has a genetic distance (GSD) of 3 between him and his grandfather because they share an ancestor but he doesnt share one with any other members in his family tree.
- is mytrueancestry safe
- my true ancestry dna
- my true ancestry reviews reddit
- mytrueancestry privacy